Frequently Asked Questions

How should I prepare to work with a family lawyer?

Before coming into a meeting with a family lawyer you should collect any important documents that might be important for the case (such as assets, debts, proof of income, taxes, wills, etc.). Additionally, you should be ready to respond to some very intrusive questions, and we always recommend that the clients prepare a list of questions for our lawyers ahead of time.

How much will my divorce cost?

It’s impossible to say for sure how much your divorce would cost. Every case is different, and even giving an estimate before knowing all the details wouldn’t be okay. Instead, you can schedule a free consultation with us where we can discuss the cost of divorce more broadly.

How long will my divorce take?

Nobody can really tell how long a divorce will last, but you can always get an estimate from your legal team. Unfortunately, there are too many variables in a divorce process to be certain how long it will take.

What are grounds for divorce in Washington?

Washington is a no-fault divorce state. This means that the petitioner only needs to believe that they and their partner have irreconcilable differences, and that the marriage has to end because of that. The law calls this an “irretrievably broken” marriage, and it’s the only grounds for divorce in Washington.

Will I receive maintenance of alimony if my partner cheated on me?

Maybe, but cheating won’t be the reason why. Since Washington is a “strict no-fault” divorce state, the court doesn’t really care if your spouse’s cheating caused the divorce. So the factors determining spousal maintenance are related to maintenance needs, and how much the other spouse can afford to pay.

How long does alimony last?

It depends on several factors, including the length of marriage, if the spouses had children, how much money the receiver needs, and if the other spouse is able to pay for all that.

How much child support will I receive?

Your child support is based on the Washington State Child Support Schedule. This is a table the courts use to determine how much money is needed to support the child on a monthly basis (by both parents). The court uses that number and divides it between parents, depending on their individual contribution to the combined monthly income.

How can I get custody of my children?

In Washington, the courts decide on the “residential schedule” of a child. And it’s determined by a parenting plan which a judge orders or approves. This plan includes details on which parent will have custody, or how they’ll share it.

Can I request sole custody if my partner cheated?

Not because of that reason, because Washington is a “strict no-fault” divorce state, the courts won’t take into consideration the reasons why the marriage ended.

How will marital property be divided?

No matter how the divorce is resolved, you and your spouse will need to divide all shared property. This includes your house, any investment accounts, personal property, and so on.